Sunday, March 21, 2010

Chewy Chocolate Cookies with Green Mint Chips

Hello Readers!

Let me start out by saying I have fallen into the bad habit of checking out what's on sale in the baking aisle of the grocery store. About a month ago, this led to me buying some Guittard Green Mint Chips. This habit has also led to about 3 other bags of assorted chips hanging out in my pantry, so I should be baking more cookies in the future...

Anyways, onto the mint chips! I thought they would be both delicious and look great in some chocolate cookies, and I think I was totally right. These are probably the best cookies I have ever baked, so I am quite satisfied. These guys expand and flatten out in the oven, but stay pretty soft once they cool. I started with a Martha Stewart recipe, but made a few changes to adapt to what I actually had on hand. Bake and enjoy!

Chewy Chocolate Cookies and Green Mint Chips:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
4 ounces good-quality semisweet chocolate
1 stick unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Guittard Green Mint Chips (I had a 12oz bag, but I would say used about half of it. I'll explain why!)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl; set aside.
Melt coarsely chopped chocolate with the butter in a small heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water.
Transfer chocolate mixture to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add sugar, eggs, and vanilla; mix on medium speed until combined. Reduce speed to low; gradually mix in flour mixture.

Fold in mint chips. Here is where I had a spot of trouble. Contrary to popular belief (or maybe my own belief), 12 oz of chips isn't essentially the same as 4oz of chopped milk chocolate. Oops.

(So many chips!)

Luckily, this batter was not super sticky, and it was fairly easy to take out a few chips from the cookies that would have essentially ended up as mint balls.



Drop batter in about 1 1/2 inch spoonfulls about 2 inches apart on parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake until cookies are flat and surfaces begin to crack, about 15 minutes. Transfer on parchment to wire racks. Cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.



Make sure you have milk in the fridge. Nothing tastes better than some delicious cookies and a cold glass of milk!

1 comment:

  1. You should bring some of these bad boys home for the holidays (where we won't be allowed to eat them!)

    ReplyDelete